Wednesday, May 25, 2011

THE OPINION OF MY BLACKNESS


THE OPINION OF MY BLACKNESS
she follows me like a bitch,
and everywhere that has or is, will be,
she speaks her piece before I 
step up to confront and prove her insidious.


She was born without my consent, or instruction
And presented upon my nativity as if -
as if she were the real and true me.


As if, when I speak -
I am stupid.
As if, when I intone-
I am irrelevant.
As if, when I write -
I am illiterate.
When I dance -
I am a clown.
When I enjoy the image of me, unfettered -
She stains it
with a reputation so ugly.
And when I love -
she speaks
as if I am an unfeeling brute.


Why, she claims when I am injured -
I should be ashamed to Protest,
And, when I die -
She says I was never even born.


She insists, she SHRILLS
in every house her makers have prepared,
that when I raise my eyes to Gaze on God -
He couldn't possibly be anyone who'd look


like my own Father.
My own Mother.
Like myself.


Yet, between her and I,
there is a river on which we both know,
only One heart here flows with the strength of Queens,
and beats soley in My Never Weary breast.
With the one Living gift she cannot obtain,
With the one Living reality she forever will fear.
With the one Living Weapon I Use Against Her Easily.


with TRUTH, and that is ETERNAL
and Eternally for the Freedom of US ALL.
Thus, living or each of Us dead?
Only she will be lain to Rest,
while I come back in Forever


while I come back in You
and TOGETHER, We come back as Victory.


Which is where this River Rolls.
Flow on, Queens.


Renee Beggsmith, aka Ajali Shabazz

No comments:

Post a Comment